Creamy Cauliflower Soup (Vegan!)
I was having dinner with some girlfriends and we were talking about trying to find more healthy AND tasty recipes to add to our repertoires, and this recipe was highly recommended. I tried it the next day and I agree, it is delicious, healthy and has the added bonus of being easy to make! The "creamy" texture comes from cashews which makes this recipe vegan. This recipe is from healthyblenderrecipes.com.
Vegan Cream Of Cauliflower Soup | Healthy Blender Recipes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic (about 2 cloves), plus more to taste
- 2 cups (200g) chopped leeks (white parts only, from 2 or 3 leeks)
- Celtic sea salt
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped (approximately 2 cups)
- 7 cups (1.65l) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (35g) raw unsalted cashews or 1/4 cup (35g) blanched slivered raw almonds, soaked
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives or a grating of nutmeg (optional; choose one, not both), to garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic, leeks, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cauliflower and sauté for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, increase the heat to high, and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the cauliflower is completely tender. Stir the mix periodically and mash the cauliflower with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly; stir in the nuts.
- Pour the soup into your blender in batches and blast on high for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and warm it over low heat. Stir in salt to taste.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with either chopped chives or grated nutmeg.
Serves 6 as a starter, 4 as a main.
Note: Store any leftover soup in your Burger Master and store in the freezer. Each hex will hold 1/3 cup of soup.